Saturday, November 22, 2008

Muscle Memory




Several weeks ago I completed a motorcycle training training course for experienced riders and passed all the certifications. Lots of fun to say the least. It was a glorious day and then to be outside (rather than inside at a desk) for nearly seven hours was incredible. Not to mention that the bulk of the time was spent riding a motorcycle.



Throughout the day our instructor set up various riding courses for us to practice specifics driving skills. Carol, was not only knowledgeable but she knew how to teach as well. There were several things about the day that were significant besides being outside on a motorcycle for the day.


First was that Carol demonstrated everything before we were required to accomplish it ourselves. Key to this was each time she grabbed a bike being used by one of the students. In other words she did what we had to do with the same equipment we had to use. I was impressed.


Another thing that really hit me at the time and I have spent a lot of time thinking about it since then. Carol said that we needed to develop "muscle memory." I had not heard that before. Over and over in every drill she continued to tell us how to develop "muscle memory."

Time and time again, Carol would "yell" at me (in the nicest of ways) to let my muscles memorize what I wanted them to do and then each time following the specific exercise would get easier. She was right. Imagine that.

But here is the deal for me. One I love riding and what she showed me really helped me.
Second thing is that the same principle applies to my spiritual life. If I want to get better and stronger, I must develop "spiritual" muscle memory. I must do the things necessary for me to help me remember the things of God beyond my morning devotional and times of study. I must let God train me to be the kind of person He wants me to be naturally.

I have a lot of work to do to be the kind of motorcyclist that I want to be and I have a lot more work to do to be the type of person God desires me to be.

Keep praying for me on both counts.

No comments: