Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Learning from Leaders - - - Pastor Andy Addis



Sustainable Pace

Last month I was with our son at the health club he manages in Hutchinson, KS. Chad arranged for one of his top personal trainers to spend some time with me and walk me through some training that I could do at home or on the road.
You can check out Genesis at http://www.genesishealthclubs.com/

Joe asked me what outcomes I wanted from my training. I thought for a moment and responded that I need “strength, agility, speed and endurance.” Other than that I felt I was doing pretty well. Over the course of the next hour, Joe helped me understand some key principles; and he helped me with some specific exercises that I can use anywhere.

The following day, I met with one of my heroes, Pastor Andy Addis. If you follow my blog, Facebook© or Twitter©, Andy’s name is not new to you. I have known him for several years and look forward to every occasion we can get some time together. As a Senior Pastor, he is one of the leading thinkers and practitioners of InterGenerational ministry, as well as multi-site churches. Every time Andy and I sit down for any amount of time, I usually leave with pages of notes.

As a “side-bar,” Andy is over 20 years younger than I am; and he is one who teaches me. I say that for the older guys who are not taking the time to really listen and learn from younger men and women.

Now to the bottom line-- As Andy and I talked, I asked him what he had been learning in the time since we had last seen each other. He stated three things. One, however, was the game-winning homerun.

He told me that he must maintain a “sustainable pace.” The moment Andy let the words go; I went back to my training session with Joe. I need “strength, agility, speed and endurance” and a sustainable pace.

That does not mean that there are not periods of increased or high intensity. It means that as I seek to run the race God has set for me, there are days I need to run and on others I need to walk. There are days that are sprints and others that are a steady pace. Yet, over time, the entire pace must be sustainable.

Life, especially our spiritual life, requires “strength, agility, speed and endurance” and a “sustainable pace.” You would think that a guy my age would have this pretty well mastered. Not so -- but I am working on it.

Thank you Andy -- See you soon!

Check out Andy Addis and his messages at his blog http://www.crosseyedlife.com/
and website -- http://www.andyaddis.com/

1 comment:

Christine Pechstein said...

Great post! If we lose our focus or run with perseverance in too many directions, we will be busy, but not effective. At that point, we risk burn out, which too many of us forget about! We can't afford to lose our leaders-young and old!