Thursday, July 2, 2009

Who Do You Say He Is?

Who Do You Say He Is?
Mathew 16:15

“But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
Mathew 16:15 (NIV)

The question that was posed to Peter by our Lord seemed pretty simple and forthright. It was as if Jesus had heard enough from the intellectual level. I can almost imagine the environment when Jesus listened to all the others. Each of their responses could have been prefaced with “Well the evidence seems to indicate……” then follow that with their conclusions based on what others were saying. “Some say John the Baptist; others Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

Then Jesus just cut through all the issues with the simple question to Peter. Our Lord’s question could have also have been preceded with ….. “Peter, regardless of the evidence and what others are saying, in your heart…..” Who do you say I am?”

That was the moment of truth. Yet, that same question must be answered by each one of us daily. Our answer will be stated by two separate responses. The first answer will be the words we choose to speak and the second will be shouted louder by how we choose to live our lives. It is one thing to say that Jesus is the Son of the Living God and our Lord and Savior. It is quite another thing to live our lives in such a way that shouts in an undeniable manner that Jesus is the Son of the Living God and our Lord and Savior.

I am convinced that our families, friends and those around us are going to know what we believe about Jesus before we get the chance to tell them what we think about him. They will see in us what we believe long before they hear from us what we think.

Now, here is the problem. For far too many years people around me could not hear what I was saying with my mouth about Jesus because my life was shouting too loudly a message to the contrary.

I believe that I did more to lead people from the Lord rather than to Him.

Now I have this picture that keeps running over and over again. I picture myself standing with Jesus and He is listening to all the answers from the others. Then He turns to me and says, “But what about you?” He asks, “Who do you say I am?”

Before I can answer Him, He says, “Don’t answer that. Let me just watch you today and I will see the real answer.”

So today, when others look at you and see how you choose to live your life……. Who do you say he is?

No comments: