Sunday, December 13, 2009

Learning from Leaders - - - Pastor Jim Ladd




Asking the Right (Tough) Questions



Many men are blessed with great friends. Many have incredible pastors. Many have remarkable brothers. Very few men I know have all of those same men in their pastor. I am blessed to have a pastor who is my friend, brother and pastor---Pastor Jim Ladd.. Jim is my Senior Pastor at Grace Community Church.

There are many advantages in having one man as all three in my life. It would take more than one blog to explain all that means to me.

One of the great strengths that Jim possesses and frankly has worked hard to develop is his ability to ask the right and very often tough questions. Jim shared with me over a year ago that the person who asks the right questions can often guide the discussion and he has proven that theory over and over again.

Here are some of things that I have observed watching Jim ask the right questions:

1. He has worked hard to be a very good student of people. I watch him in groups as he watches body language as he listens to the words spoken. He also watches the response of others to what is being said by someone else.

2. Jim listens to what “is not said.” Many of his questions are a result of what the person did not say for a number of reasons.

3. Jim is not afraid of asking the “too tough” questions that other leaders shy away from to not risk offending the person.

4. Most importantly, Jim is acceptable to others asking him tough questions. I think he puts himself in positions and places that give people permission and opportunity to ask the tough questions.

Jim does not just ask questions of others and invite questions, he asks tough questions openly as a way of sharing what he is wrestling with in life and ministry.

I could share specifics but it is far better to refer you to some of his questions.
Jim regularly blogs and his recent postings are worth everyone's time to read and consider. I invite you to go to http://jimladd.blogspot.com/

I should also add that Jim is passionate about "InterGenerational" ministry.

Specifically, I invite you to take a look at the vital questions that Jim has posed and is wrestling with for our church. He is at Question #7. Do not short change yourself and read only the last one. Go back to the beginning and read Questions 1-6.

I think these touch on the the tough questions that need to be addressed by every church and ministry.

Jim, thanks for being my friend, brother in arms and my pastor. I look forward to seeing you next week....What is your next question?

No comments: