Saturday, December 5, 2009

Thoughts on Turning 75


I am coming to believe that 75 is the new “65.” There was a time many years ago that I thought that 65 was well into a retirement season and at 65 everything was pretty much downhill.

Now upon reaching 62, I am seeing things just a little different. It is not just my change of thinking – but perhaps seeing better the world around me. I am seeing men and women in their 70’s, 80’s and even 90’s still really making a great difference.

It is also coming to the realization that younger generations need some seasoned men and women who are willing to “stay in the race” with them.

So Lord willing, where do I want to be at 75?

Spiritually, I want to be a much stronger Man of God - - Son of the King.

As a husband, I want to God to be pleased and others amazed at the love I have for my wife when I just look at her from across the room.

As a father, I want my kids to have a stronger dad to count on to support them and walk with them as they grow and raise their families.

As a “papa”, I want to Rock & Roll and be a source of fun, wisdom and safety for my grandkids.

As a brother, I want to work to keep my family close and growing in love for one-another and to intentionally see each of them and their families more.

As a friend, I want my friends to know that they can count on me.

As a mentor/coach/encourager, I want to be actively reproducing into leaders of every age. I want to see people getting stronger and better as the person God created each of them to become.

As a ministry leader, I want to see an explosion of InterGenerational Churches that are reproducing around the world and I want to take part in striking a match and lighting the fuse.

There are several words that come to mind that are critical if I am to start becoming the man I want to be at 75: discipline, intentionality and love.

I must become more disciplined in the things that God has convicted me of in my heart. Discipline is hard work but it feels so much better that regret.

Intentionality
is vital in every area of my life. Great things do not just happen.

And the greatest of these is love. Without love does any of this really matter? I want a desperate love for God; a passionate love for my family; a committed love for my friends; and joyful, exuberant and energetic love for the life and ministry that God created me for and has given me.

I will not and I refuse to creep up to 75 like it is a haunted house. I have a lot of work to do and I intend to blow past 75 like an Indy race car because I am looking at some great men of God in their 80’s and 90’s who are making me look like I am standing still.

Well - - - Game on!!!


Catch you all later---I have a lot to do today!

No comments: