Wednesday, January 6, 2010

What Are You Going to Read in 2010?

What Are You Going to Read in 2010?
Perhaps the first question should be, "Are you going to read anything in 2010?" I think your answer to that question will be foundational to your decision to grow or just "tread water" in this New Year.

Late in 2009, there was a statistic floating around that stated many men do not read another book after finishing high school. Wow!! I did not know we had to read any in High School. Frankly, I am not sure whether or not the statement is with or without any valid authentication. I do know this--It is virtually impossible to grow if you do not intentionally read.

Three questions deal with the real issue:

1. Do you want to grow in 2010?

2. If you want to grow, have you decided to read for that growth?

3. If you want to grow and have decided to read--What will you read?

I have a few suggestions and these apply first and foremost to me.

1. Daily read God's Word. It does not have to be a set amount of chapters or verses. It must be a daily decision that becomes as natural as eating. People do not decide to eat every day. That is a given! In fact, we must make a deliberate decision "not to eat." Eating is natural. Therefore, reading God's word must become the natural thing to do each day.

2. Read for Growth. Women do this so much better than us guys. Yet, as men, we are not excused from this requirement. We must be deliberate and set time aside for this area of our lives.

3. Read something for pleasure. Several years ago my younger brother, who is a staff pastor in Omaha, NE, challenged me to read for pleasure. It was a good call. In fact, he sent me a book to start the process. I read it and he sent me a second one.

Now comes the critical question.... How do you actually do this?

Here are some of the steps that have been helpful to me. First, I want you to know that I was not a "reader" growing up in my early to mid-years. I read what was necessary. I made a decision to change.

1. Place to read. This has been significant. I have a chair with books all around. It is my place and I love it. I start my mornings in my chair.

2. Time to read: When it comes to my devotional time and reading the Bible, I do best in the morning. Then I read at other times as well. Think about this: the amount of TV that we Americans watch is staggering. If you made a decision to skip one show and read, your reading skills and amount you read would make a quantum leap.

3. What to read. Do not wait until you are ready to read before you decide what to read. I created a reading list, acquired several of the books which are then readily available for reading. Some books are for pleasure, others for personal growth and still others research for ministry issues.

4. Be accountable with others. It is great to read books with others. It creates an atmosphere of accountability; and men especially do much better if they know that on a given day, a group is going to be discussing the first 4 chapters of any given book. I have read several books this way and even with my sons who live in different states.

My good friend and author, Ken Larson, is the go-to guy when it comes to LifeWalking. He is always quick to ask men, "Are you going to learn to dance or just move with the music?" That statement really speaks to the issues of life.

Are we just going to slide through life and let things happen to us or did God create us to make things happen?

I think my ability to make things happen may be directly tied to reading and growing.

Finally in the words of my friend and leadership development pastor, Mac Lake--"Leaders are readers and readers are leaders."

No comments: