Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Integrity in Prayer


A few days ago, I posted the following on my Facebook/Twitter update:

“ ‘Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' condition has been upgraded from critical to serious, the University of Arizona Medical Center said Sunday.’ Does not matter your politics, people who actually pray, should be praying for Rep Giffords.”

Someone asked what I meant by the statement regarding “people who actually pray”? The answer for me was very simple. I do not think nearly as many people who say they will pray or who say that they are responding to prayer needs, actually pray.

Frankly, I feel that there is far too much on the social networks that begin with “Dear God” that is not intended to be a prayer or even honoring to God. Instead, it is closer to just slapping God in the face and in many cases might be much closer to blasphemy than prayer. When the post begins with “Dear God,” consider if the next words could be, “Hallowed be Thy Name.”

I think that for many people it has become one of those “in vogue” things to post updates that indicate that they are praying when in fact they are not.

It is my belief that this is having the effect of creating cultural Christians who talk about prayer but do not actually stop and pray. As a result are teaching our children and younger Christians that we can just talk about prayer but not really engage in the process.

I am wondering how many children hear their parents tell someone that they will pray but never see or hear their parents pray? My guess is far too many!!

One of the most powerful acts of faith that we have is prayer.

It can be very powerful for our children and grandchildren to be a part of the prayer we promised. It teaches them to pray and it also shows integrity in our word.

Here is my bottom line for parents: when you tell someone in the presence of your children that you will pray, include your children when you pray.

No comments: