Friday, January 14, 2011

InterGenerational Worship


As I study the issues of the generations, I feel that very often we have a tendency to put an “either/or” where God probably puts an “and.”

Over the years I have sadly listened to older Christians speak that there are just not enough of the old hymns sang at their church. I have listened to younger church crowds talk about how they need their own worship and do music their way

When did the music of any generation become just theirs and all about only them?

Several years ago, I had a conversation with a music teacher at a Christian college. She was saddened by the fact she could not get her students interested in the old beautiful hymns. I asked her if she had ever told the stories of the songs before she taught the music. She had not.

She also told me that she had a tough time with the songs of today – specifically, the singing of the same chorus many—too many—times for her liking. I asked her about several songs and if she knew the stories behind the writing of the song. She did not.

I challenged her to teach the stories and then teach the music.

This is also true at any church around the world. We can transcend the age separations by learning the stories behind each of the songs from the different generations.

Here is a two-part challenge—Teach the story of Horatio Spafford and why he wrote, It is Well With My Soul, in 1873. Then teach the story of Matt Redman and why he wrote, The Heart of Worship, in 1997.

There are so many stories to be told and songs to be sang. Yes, the music is important. I think that it is clearly accepted that God loves music and worship. I think that God loves us to worship together -- lifting up our voices as OneGeneration, One Family.

It is not either this style of music or that one. Perhaps for the family, it is this style of music and that one.

2 comments:

CouldBeWertz said...

This one rings loud and true for me, Chuck! Music is a passion of mine and I'm one of the weird young'uns that really likes the "old" hymns. But, you know what? I do know alot of the stories of the old hymns, hmmm, maybe you're on to something! ;-)

I believe, through my extensive experience playing piano/organ for churches that tend to lean heavily toward the septuagenarian side of the spectrum, that when most people say they "like" a song or group of songs that they are really associating that song with a memory. Whether that memory is of a person, a church, or of "better days", it is a mighty strong association in their mind. And that's true of "old" hymns or "new" worship songs. I almost always link a song that I like to the first person I heard sing it. So if I hear somebody else sing it, I might say, no that's not quite as good. But it's the same song!

Do you know that when Isaac Watts first started writing music, his church implemented a "intermission" of sorts so that people who didn't want to hear the "new" music could exit gracefully? Pretty funny, huh?

OneGeneration said...

Tom
Good comment my friend. I appreciate you. Did not know that about Isaac Watts. too cool.
In Christ
Chuck