Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Show Me Your Friends


There is an old saying that goes, “Show me your friends and I will show you your future.” This statement could not have been made any clearer for me than it was this past weekend.


My wife, Billie, and I traveled to New England for the wedding of my youngest sister, Sandee. We were joined there by my sister Kitty, and her husband, John, from North Carolina and our cousin Pam and her husband, Bill, from Ohio. As we participated in the weekend activities, we observed several things that the many pictures cannot accurately portray. In many ways the old adage, “You just had to be there” was very true.


Something very significant happened while pictures were being taken. Ken our new brother (in-law), asked for all the guys from Lebanon class of “74.” Seven guys came running and joined Ken for the picture. Then it hit me…..all of these guys had been friends for nearly forty years. Not only that, but their families, including their wives and children were friends as well.


In the toast I offered, I made a comment about the groom’s friends and how comfortable it was for me and my family to see the bonds of friendship that had been forged over time.


During the course of the evening, nearly every one of the guys from the “Lebanon Class of 74” made it a point to quietly tell me that Sandee was in good hands; and they personally gave me their word that she would be safe in their community.


I know far more about my new brother (in-law) now than I could have ever learned by talking to him alone. I know this.... Ken has surrounded himself with good men.


How many friends can we count that have been our friends for over 40 years?? How about 30?? How about 20??


The real question is “What type of person does one need to be to develop friendships that will last over 40 years?”


I want to be that type of person and friend.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Brother I have not been blessed to be in a relationship like that and don't suspect I ever will, for my life style doesn't make it easy. Oh how it would feel though to know that you have someone at your back tight and that you could trust to no end!