Thursday, June 18, 2009

Staying Connected

Yesterday, I made the decision to call a friend just to thank them for investing in me and being a part of my life. The decision to make a call resulted in several. Some were planned and others just happened.
I try to speak at least every other day with each of our two sons who live in other states. In addition, I get to see or speak with our daughter who lives here in Littleton nearly every day. I also connect with Ray Morgan, one of our board members nearly every day for accountability and to do life together.

Here were the three calls that I decided to make yesterday. One was a no-brainer. My youngest sister had a birthday on Monday and I called to wish her a blessed and Happy Birthday. This was important since she and I have shared seasons of stupidity where we let things get in the way of our genuine love for one another. I am trying to strengthen a foundation so that does not happen again.

Secondly, I spoke with a man from California who I met at a couple of men’s events. I did not even have his number and he sent it to me on FaceBook so that I could call. Terry and I have exchanged notes of encouragement over the past year, but there are times when it is important to hear each other’s voice.

In the midst of the day, I received a call from a great friend and brother. He and I had exchanged some emails and knew that we both needed to connect just to “catch-up.” The call with David was overdue for both of us.

Finally, I called a longtime friend just to talk. I had no agenda that prompted the call. My need was to talk with Frank.

Frank Burrows has been “mentoring” me for twenty years. We first met in 1989 when our family moved to Fairfax, VA. Frank and Doris began “investing” in our entire family--not just Frank in my life and Doris in my wife’s but both of them into our sons’ lives as well.

Several years ago when God really began to stir in me regarding men’s ministry, Frank was one of my strongest encouragers. In 1992, we were re-assigned to Rome, Italy. Frank continued to encourage me regarding ministry to men. It was his specific loving prod that helped me take steps to start a small ministry to men and our sons while still in the military. That experience would lead to my seeking out a position with Promise Keepers in 1994 when I retired.

The years with Frank and Doris have had an incredible impact on me. He has a gentle wisdom that can quietly seep through the cracks to reach inside me.

Frank is 82 years old and still more active than men half his age. Yesterday when we spoke, he had already completed his daily routine of exercise followed by leading an exercise class for some “old people”—since he is young. He was very busy because he is also president of the homeowners association.

It had been too long since we last spoke. I am glad I called.

But I wonder..how many are privileged to have a “Frank Burrows” in their lives. It is not too late to find someone.

As a note, in the midst of a few calls, I did get some other work done. It is not an either/or but both.

No comments: