Monday, June 15, 2009

Trying to be Believable

Have you ever listened to a person but there was something about them that did not bear witness to their words? I have on several occasions. Sometimes I could figure it out, and at other times I just had this feeling. When you are super spiritual, you can call that feeling "discernment" and really sound important. So being really spiritual, I have on several occasions discerned a discrepancy between a person's words and their life.

The problem is when the person in question is me. That is where I fall into the pattern that I have spoken about to many men. I first justify the situation; and if that does not work, I make an excuse. Finally, my last resort is to try to shift the blame. It is a clear Biblical pattern that can be seen in many men. It is so much easier to speak about many men than to focus on one man--me!

Let me "cut to the chase" so to speak. Regularly I speak to me about getting started and doing something. I also speak about the need for "spiritual disciplines" in our lives. About two weeks ago I had this feeling of discrepancy between my words and my life.

How can any man believe me when I talk about the need for spiritual disciplines when I cannot even discipline myself to get into a good physical condition and lose weight. I am not talking about Olympic conditioning. I am talking about some basic health principles in my life--the disciplines needed to eat healthy (both quantity and type of food) and the discipline to exercise to maintain health and an energy level to fight the battles of this life as God intended.

So here is the deal... sort of up close and personal for everyone to know. On Monday, June 1, 2009 I weighed myself and saw a number I had not seen before for me...258.5 lbs. Since I have not received a call from the Broncos to play this year, it is time to make my life match my words.

In the first week, I focused on eating properly; and the second week I started exercising with the help of my son, Chad. After two weeks I am down 11.5 lbs. My goal is to reduce my weight to 215 lbs by the end of 2009. In addition, I want to run 5 miles in less than 40 minutes. There are other things that I could focus on, but this is a start.

The bottom line is that anyone and everyone are free to ask me about my weight, eating and exercise.

I want my words to represent God better than what I believe I am now doing. I want to be believable so that anyone who hears me or is around me will know that my God is believable.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Go, Chuck, go! I've had similar thoughts and have started to train for the Denver 1/2 marathon. Wanna join me on October 18?

Unknown said...

Thanks for your transparency, Chuck. It is inspiring to many of us younger guys. All to be more like Christ, yes??

Unknown said...

Hey Chuck,
I had a similar experience in Dec '08 and have lost almost 20 lbs. There is hope for us old dogs to be sure! Learn to enjoy oatmeal:-)

When you get to Omaha, I will put you on the scale and if you've been a good boy, I will take you to Famous Daves!

Wilson

Ken Church said...

Does this mean no more Buca??? I applaud you, brother. I did a 10-day "cleanse" a couple of months ago and lost 13 pounds, only to gain it back when my routine returned to "normal." I envy the fact that you have a loving son to hold you accountable and encourage you. We're still struggling with the loss of Josh, so keep praying. Give Billie our love!

Unknown said...

Love ya Chuck. Best investment I've made in recent years is to buy a bike. Great exercise, good on the body and great for comradeship with other riders. Best thing... you can really pig out after a workout! Yay!